Nacro are looking for Volunteers
We don’t just talk about achieving positive social change at Nacro. We do it every day - challenging unfairness, dismantling barriers to progress and giving some of the most vulnerable people in society the best chance at a second chance.
Nacro understand the importance of supporting our service users as they navigate the Criminal Justice System and rebuild their lives after a prison sentence or whilst on Probation. Our team of specialist housing advisors are able to work with service users to overcome barriers to obtain secure and stable accommodation. This then supports with the successful reintegration back into society. We are now looking for Volunteers to come on board and support us to make a difference.
The Ministry of Justice’s (MoJ) Probation Reform Programme made changes to the current probation services delivery model in England and Wales with effect from Saturday 26th June 2021.
The new probation service is responsible for managing all those on a community order or licence following their release from prison and will also deliver unpaid work and behavioural change programmes in England and Wales.
What are we looking for?
We would like to see applications from people who genuinely want to support individuals to make positive changes in their life, you do not necessarily need to have relevant experience as training will be given.
- We are keen to develop a diverse voluntary group and welcome applicants with lived experience.
- We want volunteers who are non-judgemental, passionate, and resourceful.
- We would like you to commit to a minimum of 6 months.
What are the skills and qualities required?
- Excellent listening skills
- Awareness of boundaries and confidentiality
- Confidence in liaising with stakeholders
- The ability to build rapport with service users
- Communication skills (to liaise with service users and also report all information back to staff)
Key responsibilities may include:
- Supporting a service user to attend appointments in the community
- Delivering information, advice and guidance around practical issues; motivating and encouraging service users to adopt a positive attitude; supporting service users build resilience and confidence to achieve resettlement goals
- Providing holistic mentoring support to service users
- Completing and following action plans
- Accurate record keeping
- Administrative tasks
What will you receive from us?
- Full training programme including ongoing support and training refreshers to keep you up to date
- Flexible training programme to include volunteer requests/suggestions
- Training courses tailored to your role such as Disclosure, safeguarding, health and safety and professional boundaries
- Supervision and peer-support group
- Access to additional training and development opportunities
- We will also train volunteers in Housing Management, compliance and benefits system.
The safety and wellbeing of service users is at the heart of the service Nacro provides, therefore safer recruitment practices are embedded throughout our selection processes.
This role is subject to a DBS and all travel and subsistence costs will be reimbursed (where applicable)