To provide a housing related support to people with a variety of vulnerabilities, to enable them to maintain their tenancies and to achieve their aspirations for independent living, alongside pragmatic and intensive housing management functions.
Main duties and responsibilities:
To carry out a range of comprehensive and pragmatic support and housing management activities. This will include designing, implementing & reviewing individual support plans, and with the support of other housing management staff to oversee repairs, rent arrears and rent collection, health and safety monitoring, addressing anti-social behaviour; in line with Humankind Housing’s policies, procedures and legal requirements.
- Identify users’ individual support needs and, through consultation and agreement with the user (and, where appropriate, their external services), devise and implement suitable support plans to ensure that identified support needs are met.
- Ensure that support plans are reviewed regularly to reflect the changing needs and priorities of the service user
- Encourage and support tenants to live as fully and independently as possible within the local community, providing information, emotional, organisational and practical support and training as appropriate.
- To carry out risk assessments as and when necessary due to the changing needs and aspirations of users.
- Ensure that the service operates in compliance with Hull City Council’s ‘Supported Housing Charter’
- Organise and provide appropriate support for tenants preparing to move-on to greater independence, including support through the move and resettlement into their new home.
- Liaise with and signpost to other housing, health and social care professionals, benefits, welfare and advocacy agencies as appropriate
- Putting the tenants in touch with, or advising on availability of care, support and welfare services and encouraging the tenants to maintain those contacts
- Maintaining accurate and comprehensive records of support related activities
- Be the first point of contact for all tenants
- Work alongside the Team Leader to further develop and grow HUMANKIND Housing services across area & work in partnership with all key stakeholders
- Assist with the continued development and growth of HUMANKIND Housing
- Work closely with all relevant HUMANKIND staff to ensure everyone is kept up to date with any progress and or issues at all times
- Be available to work the on call out of hours service on a rota basis
- Keep accurate and comprehensive records of your housing management activities on in-house systems.
- Provide a wide range of pragmatic and intensive housing management duties, including, but not limited to:
- Ensuring the tenant is fully aware of their tenancy conditions at start up including issuing keys, Tenant Handbook and completing the sign-up process; explaining the terms and conditions of the tenancy agreement and their security of tenure within it
- Assisting with Housing Benefit and other claims during tenancy sign-up process and throughout their tenancy
- Advising tenants on rent arrears
- Work with the Housing Officer / Team Leader to deal with anti-social behaviour issues
- Deal with abandonment and related issues
- Maintaining security of buildings (locking doors/alarm checks) & arranging and monitoring access to the buildings
- Ordering and facilitation of new equipment, furniture, white goods, carpets/flooring
- Facilitating and reporting and recording of day to day repairs & advising and assisting with implementation of aids and adaptations to the property
- Arranging tests/checks of the gas and electrical system/items within the accommodation
This job description is intended to provide a guide to the general duties and responsibilities of the post. It should not be regarded as a contractual document. It will be reviewed regularly and may be varied at the discretion of Humankind
Person Specification - Essential criteria:
- Good general education with ability to progress onto professional qualification in Housing
- Experience of providing intensive housing management to vulnerable people
- Knowledge of Choice Based Lettings / housing allocations systems
- Knowledge of the different housing options available to clients
- Ability to write clear reports and make recommendations
- Computer literate and able to access and input data into collection systems
- Be a good communicator with the public and all levels of staff, including management and outside agencies and service users
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Full driving licence and access to a car for work
- Ability to manage competing work demands and respond flexibly to the demands of the post
- Ability to maintain clear professional boundaries
Person Specification - Desirable criteria:
- Professional qualification in Housing
- Minimum of two years’ experience or a good understanding of working with people affected by homelessness / substance misuse/offending behaviour/mental health
- Commitment to involving tenants in future developments and experience of organising tenant participation and consultation activities
- Ability to contribute to the development and review of relevant policies and procedures
- Knowledge of Housing Law relevant to landlord and tenant
- Knowledge of the ‘Decent Homes Standards’ and the ‘Housing Health and safety Rating System’
- Knowledge of local housing providers and relevant departments/agencies and organisations
- Awareness of housing management functions and issues e.g. allocations, repairs and maintenance, rent arrears, evictions, conflict resolutions, neighbourhood issues, shared housing
- Understanding of how the welfare reform bill is / will impact upon housing choices
- Commitment to understanding of Equal Opportunities and anti-discriminatory practices
- Ability to deliver and support others to deliver training e.g. tenancy ready programmes, and provide advice to staff and service users
Candidates will be recruited within the advertised range, please do not automatically expect initial recruitment to be at the top end, as this will depend on experience and enables progression in role through the Humankind development process.
Please note that all communication regarding your application for this post will be sent to the email address you provide on your application form. We will contact shortlisted candidates by email to confirm the arrangements for interview. Please check your email inbox after the closing date for notification as you will not be notified by any other means. Please remember to check your junk folder.
Due to the current restrictions as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, interviews will be via Microsoft Teams or Zoom.